About Carstensen Homes
We're not just building a house, we're building your home
For more than thirty years, Carstensen Homes has done more than build houses – we build relationships with our clients as we help them build the home of their dreams – one they can enjoy for many years. We combine years of experience with the newest design standards and most up-to-date building techniques to build homes that stand the test of time.
Our company began rather modestly with the construction of a single 1,700 square foot ranch home. Today, Carstensen Homes is best known for building custom homes with extraordinary amenities, going above and beyond to provide the best advice and support, and meticulous attention to detail. Our customers appreciate the time and effort we put in to help them realize their vision of a perfect home. And we do more than just listen. We have a conversation. We listen to what you want and what you need, then provide suggestions that solve your challenges in ways you never even thought about.
You will experience our same customer first philosophy and attention to the details attititude if you build from one of our model home plans. We offer Carstensen Home models so you won't have to start from scratch. You can build from one of our Carstensen Home models or simply use it as a starting point that you can modify. At Carstensen Homes, we take the time to listen to your ideas and needs to help make sure your new home fits your lot and reflects your individual interests, lifestyle and budget. Whether you start with one of our model homes and then customize it to meet your specific needs or build a custom home, we'll make sure your home is just right for you.
Better building techniques means a better home
At Carstensen Homes, we know that many times, the most important aspects of your home are the parts you don't see. The construction techniques we use when we build your home can help you avoid repairs and replacements down the road, saving you time and money for years to come. Here are just some of the ways we ensure your home will stand the test of time. (And best of all, every one of the items on this list are included in the base price of your home!)
- Foundations – A dry lower level is a livable lower level. All Carstensen foundations include waterproofing systems, and when we backfill foundations, we use 3 – 4 feet of stone, which is 2 – 3 feet more than codes say we must use. Why? Because the gravel can shift and absorb pressure that the backfill may put on your wall, preventing cracks from forming. We also use closed cell foam, rather than fiberglass insulation as our base box filler to prevent moisture from condensing on the framing material.
- Windows – Our base package includes Pella wood frame aluminum clad Low-E windows. This provides a better quality window and more design flexibility inside your home because the window frame can be stained or painted the color of your choice. We also use an extensive "flashing" technique at all window openings, which both prevents moisture from entering your home and collects and drains water if your windows ever do leak.
- Framing – Our framing techniques help prevent moisture in your home and keep insulation flat to improve energy efficiency. In addition, we use OSB solid sheathing on the entire outside of your home to provide structural integrity.
- Floor system – Our floors are engineered to provide you with a stronger, stiffer floor system, and we spray all the wood in your lower level – including the underside of your first floor – with a fungicide which provides protection against mold, giving you a healthier home.
- Ventilation – We use high quality bath zone and range hood fans, and hard pipe these fans to the exterior, which provides better air flow and reduces condensation.
- Roofing – We install ice and water shields on all roofs, both at the eve edges and on all the valleys where your roofline changes. This prevents ice damming and preserves your homes roof, siding, and walls.